Please check the calendar for important dates.
As we prepare for the 2018 season, please be sure to visit our site or our facebook page often to look for updates.
We will be adding coaches meetings, board meetings, registration information, etc. as we get ready for the 2018 calendar year.
Sycamore Youth Football League feels that we need to make a statement in light of some new legislation being presented this Thursday in regards to banning tackle football for kids under the age of 12 years old in the state of Illinois.
We would agree that football is a difficult and physical sport. With that comes some risk of injury. As an organization, what we can do is take every step possible to reduce that risk to a minimum.
Some of the steps that we have taken in the past and continue to build upon include:
- All of our coaches are USA Football Certified
- Our Conference, the NIFC, is also a compliant USA Football Conference
- We train our coaches on how to teach football in a safe manner
- While we are not required to do so, we also hire outside trainers to attend every home game that we host. These trainers have last word on if an injured player can return to a game or not. If the trainer says the kid is done, there is no further discussion and that player can not return to football without a doctors note clearing them for play.
- We have limited contact throughout the week at practices. Some of our teams now have less than 30 minutes of live contact per week (outside of games)
- We have gone as far as to host events, such as an event we held a few years ago where The Sports Legacy Institute came to Sycamore and put on a presentation. This was a very sought after event and we had attendees from across our youth football conference as well as the majority of teams across our high school football conference being represented.
- All of our equipment is certified and we send equipment out on an annual basis for reconditioning.
- We work with the school district in upholding another newer state law that addresses concussion protocol procedures.
In closing, we feel very strongly that the choice for a child to play tackle football should not be left up to a state legislature, but rather it should be left up to the child and the family of that child.
Brian Klaassens - President
Jim DuMont - VP Coaching
Our new Executive Board has been put in place for 2018. Our new Exec board consists of:
Brian Klaassens - President
Jim DuMont - Vice President of Coaching
Rob Gibson - Vice President of Administration
Jerry Gurley - Secretary
Chris Gandy - Treasurer
We would like to thank Joe Scianna for his nine years of service to SYFL. Joe served as a head coach and also as the league president for many years. He gave countless hours of service to our organization and community. Without Joe's services, we would not be the wonderful organization that we are today. Please be sure to thank him. In addition, we would also like to thank Steve Goldman who served as a coach, general board member and Secretary for the last eight years.
With that being said, we are getting ready for our 2018 season already. The first item of business is to install our new General Board. If you are interested in serving on this board, please be sure to reach out to one of the executive board members to express your interest. We need volunteers in order to continue to grow and remain a quality organization.
Chris Gandy will be stepping down after this next year and we are also in need of someone to shadow Chris in order to take over our treasurer position next year.
In addition, if you or someone you know is interested in coaching, please have them get in touch with us. We will be interviewing coaches in late January and early February.
Bear with us as we get our website updated and prepare for some new and exciting things coming our way in 2018.
Happy Holidays to all.
Flyweight: Logan Gibson
Lightweight: Caleb Kaelin
Middleweight: Tyler Lockhart
Heavyweight: Gable Carrick
7th/8th Grade: Connor Thorstens
Flyweight: Adam Cobos
Lightweight: Dylan Hodges
Middleweight: Joey Culotta
Heavyweight: Eli Meier
7th/8th grade: Dashon Westbrook
Flyweight: Burke Gautcher
Lightweight: Matthew Rangle
Middleweight: Kiefer Tarnoki
Heavyweight: Brayden Peet
Flyweight: Tyler Whitfield
Lightweight: Dawson Alexander
Middleweight: Jake O'Donnell
Heavyweight: Carsten Menzer
Flyweight: Zack Crawford
Lightweight: Brody Armstrong
Middleweight: Bobby Scianna
Heavyweight: Jason Hayes
These fine organizations make what we do possible. Please show your support to these amazing sponsors and thank them for their commitment to our organization. Interested in becoming a sponsor? Click here to learn more about our sponsorship opportunities
2127 Midlands Court Suite 203 Sycamore
339 Wurlitzer Drive Dekalb IL
"The Inventor of Aerosol Spray Paint"
917 Crosby Avenue
Located on the corner of Peace/Plank road and Main St (RT 23) Sycamore
SYCAMORE YOUTH FOOTBALL JR. SPARTANS
PO BOX 81, SYCAMORE IL 60178